Thursday, February 8, 2007

Researching The Crusades


When researching on such vast historical topics such as the Crusades, one can sort of place him or herself in the event that they're reading about. As a child pretends about fighting dragons, a researcher imagines the 50,000 soldiers laying siege upon the walls of a fortified city. In researching my topic I, much like a pretending child, attempted to relive the events that I read. In doing so I not only discovered facts about my subject but also attempted to experience the thoughts and feelings of those that I reminisced about.

Reading about young men not much older than I leaving their families, homes, and dedicating their lives to the church has me amazed. The size of the armies that went on the crusades still makes me wonder on what that would actually look like. I can't even imagine 60,000 soldiers clad in full armor, making military formations, and flags waving in the hands of their heralds. This awesome image made me almost daydream about the Crusades.

When reading about the crusades it is not very hard to discover a tale about a brave person accomplishing a great deed. Reading such tales would put me in awe and wonder how much they actually exaggerated in the accounts. Whether or not the tales were exaggerated or actual accounts I still hold them in respect. I respect these tales because I believe that such tales of knights accomplishing great deeds are the kind of stories that we lack today.

Most of the accounts written at that time and subjected to the common people were intended to persuade you to go on the crusades. After thousands of years their effects are still present. Not in the aspect that after reading you want to pick up a sword and kill a man in the name of god, but in the motivation it gives you. After you read about a brave knight climbing a castle's wall and saving hundreds of men you have a great admiration of courage. Doing what you admire is everyone’s motto, so in a sense you almost begin to follow chivalry after reading about the crusades.

Sources:
Alfred J. Andrea. "Encyclopedia of the Crusades". Connecticut: Greenwood Press, 2003
Helen Nicholson. "The Crusades". Connecticut: Greenwood Publishing Group, 2004
Corliss K. Slack. "Historical Dictionary of the Crusades". Maryland: The Scarecrow Press, 2003

3 comments:

Awilli21 said...

I can definatly tell that your very interested in your topic, so clearly your moving along the right track. Certain time periods in history usually bore me, but your writing makes it interesting. The picture is a nice touch.

Lula said...

Yes, you really like your topic. That is really good because for me history is something i can't stand, but when someone has a great passion for it. I can't wait to read more into what your writing your paper on.

onewingedangel said...

Tim,
Wow this almost makes me want to read about the crusades. I have really enjoyed reading your Blog and reading this post really made me see how someone can become so enthralled with history. I admit I love watching the History channel even though history is not my thing it is still very interesting. It’s good to see there are still people who think about chivalry. Also, have you seen the movie 300? It was great and I highly recommend it!